The Peoria State Hospital, originally named the Illinois Asylum for the Incurable Insane, was operated by the State of Illinois from 1902 until 1973. Completed under the direction of Dr. George Zeller, the hospital was designed as a cottage system of 63 buildings. Among these buildings was the Pollak Tuberculosis Hospital Building. During the years of operation, the Pollak saw hundred of patients pass away from tuberculosis. According to stories and eyewitness accounts, including paranormal investigations, some of the people who passed on, remained behind at the Pollak to walk the hallways.